Speech and Language Therapist (SLT)
Communication is an essential key to quality life and learning. It is a fundamental human right. Through communication we build social relationships and knowledge, make our needs and feelings known, and share ideas with others.
Communication is recognised as a core element of learning at Cleeve Meadow Special School and a Total Communication environment is created whereby our young people can learn, play and have fun alongside others while taking part in everyday social activities as well as educational ones.
To facilitate and support our young people’s communication, the school commissions a qualified Specialist Speech and Language Therapist through the Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust who works closely and collaboratively with class teachers, parents and school staff to ensure that the communication; Speech and Language needs of all the young people are being met.
The Speech and Language Therapist works alongside parents, both teaching and support staff to ensure that the best practice relating to communication is embedded within the school. This is achieved through:
- working alongside teachers and teaching assistants in planning and delivery of sessions
- on-going advice and support to staff with strategies for individuals
- direct 1:1 and/or small group Speech and Language therapy sessions
- coffee mornings for parents and carers
- close liaison with other professionals involved with the young people
- general and bespoke training sessions
Should you wish to discuss your child’s speech, language and communication, please do not hesitate to contact the School’s Speech and Language Therapist, Marissa Dias via our Single Point of Access (SPA), Specialist Children’s Service on Tel: 0203 004 0092.