Reporting Student Absence
Ensuring your child’s regular attendance at school is a parent/carer’s legal responsibility (section 444 of the 1996 Education Act) and permitting absence from school that is not authorised by the school creates an offence in law. A child not attending school is considered a safeguarding matter. This is why information about the cause of any absence is always required. If your child is absent you must contact us as soon as possible on the first day of absence.
We request that all parents/carers:
- inform the school on the first day of absence via a phone call to the main office on 020 8269 6523 or by emailing email@example.com. This must be in addition to contacting the transport service as information does not always get relayed.
- discuss with the class teacher any unavoidable planned absences well in advance
- support the school with their child in aiming for 100% attendance each year
- make sure that any absence is clearly accounted for by telephone or email on the first and subsequent days of absence, or by letter if a phone is unavailable
- avoid taking their child out of school for non-urgent medical or dental appointments
- only request leave of absence if it is for an exceptional circumstance.